“ISO 9001: 2015, the standard that underlies the quality management system necessary for the successful administration of an organisation is often misunderstood and therefore avoided by organisations. However, for organisations that want to compete in the global economy, a quality management system (QMS) could be their biggest opportunity and their greatest asset if implemented properly.” says Muhammad Ali, Managing Director of WWISE.
Debunking five myths – what ISO 9001: 2015 is NOT!
- It’s NOT complicated – Understanding how a QMS like ISO 9001: 2015 works can seem difficult at first but the concepts behind it are fairly simple. A quality management system is intended to facilitate the systematic functioning of a business’s operations. In fact, it is the opposite of complicated since it simplifies internal processing.
- It’s NOT an old document designed for businesses in the 1990’s – While ISO 9001 has been around since 1987 it is regularly updated to ensure that it remains relevant to today’s business environment. In its latest version, ISO 9001:2015 incorporates elements such as a stronger focus on stakeholders and the wider context of an organisation to fit the evolving needs of modern business. “The standard is designed to be flexible enough for use by different types of organisations and industries. For this reason, it does not specify what the objectives relating to “quality” or “meeting customer needs” should be. Instead, it requires organisations to define these objectives themselves and continually improve their processes in order to reach them”, says Ali.
- It’s NOT just for big businesses – The standard can be used by any organisation, regardless of size or type. While small companies may not have staff dedicated to quality, they can still enjoy the benefits of implementing the standard, such as competing in tenders and retaining customers.
- It’s NOT very expensive – The standard itself is reasonably priced and can be easily purchased from a certification body such as SABS or ISO.org. Preparation costs incurred can vary depending on the organisations needs and the certification body that is selected. NOTE that ISO does not perform certification themselves. Some companies may also decide to use an external consultant like WWISE. While this is not strictly necessary, getting a credible consultant can help immensely and actually save you money in the long run. Also consider that even though getting certified to the standard, may incur additional costs, not getting certified could have a far greater opportunity cost for your organisation. “At WWISE, we first conduct a Gap Analysis Audit to determine how far off from or close to an organisation is from its relevant standard(s). Naturally, the closer the organisation is to the standard, the cheaper the quotation.”, adds Ali.
- It does NOT mean more paperwork – The standard requires you to document several things but these are relatively limited. Its flexibility means that you will be able to find a way of using it that fits your organisation without requiring unnecessary paperwork. In many cases, streamlining of processes results in reduced paperwork and administration bottlenecks.
There are many benefits to implementing ISO 9001: 2015:
Waste less time and resources and invest in ISO 9001: 2015 so you can focus on what really matters, your customers, because happy and satisfied customers are the key to keeping customer loyalty and bringing in more revenue.
WWISE is a firm offering consultancy services, auditing, training, and integration assistance in South Africa. We help clients to implement businesses processes, integrate various management systems and become ISO compliant. We offer a wide range of solutions that help our clients to compete well in the international competitive business environments. As leading providers of training solutions, we offer clients on-site training, classroom-based instruction, e-Learning options, templates, and more. As such, we are able to assist in every aspect of ISO 9001 implementation, whether for provision of training solutions or to help develop and implement the QMS for the purpose of certification. We furthermore provide a range of auditing services, in addition to consultancy and QMS maintenance services. To visit our website, click on the link https://www.wwise.co.za/ or call us on (+27) 8610 99473 to discuss how we can assist you.